Monday, February 26, 2018

Seasons

To every thing there is a season, and a time to every purpose under the heaven:
A time to be born, and a time to die; a time to plant, and a time to pluck up that which is planted;
A time to kill, and a time to heal; a time to break down, and a time to build up;
A time to weep, and a time to laugh; a time to mourn, and a time to dance;
A time to cast away stones, and a time to gather stones together; a time to embrace, and a time to refrain from embracing;
A time to get, and a time to lose; a time to keep, and a time to cast away;
A time to rend, and a time to sew; a time to keep silence, and a time to speak;
A time to love, and a time to hate; a time of war, and a time of peace.



This Bible verse has been on my heart lately.  As Merle departed and we started a "new au pair year," I'm realizing how much of life, especially now with toddlers, is seasonal.  I am literally watching new seasons of life unfold before my very eyes--rolling over, crawling, babbling, full words, cruising, walking, etc.  This, in comparison to my BK (before kids, not Burger King) life when I observed seasons by the color of the leaves on the trees, the crispness of the Virginia air, and the time of the pink and purple sunsets each evening.

On the tough days, I remind myself that this is but a season in life.  There will be days that I long for my kiddos to grab onto my legs while I'm washing dishes (or vacuuming, or folding clothes or going to the bathroom!).  There will be days that I long for an early morning snuggle with a squishy, chuckling baby.  There will be days that their cribs collect dust instead of pacifiers.  And there will come a day that the house is a lonely, hollow sound of silence (and by golly, then I will take a nap!).  

Several weeks ago, a friend was supposed to come out to the house to help me prepare some of of our baby stuff for a local consignment sale.  This was a Friday.  The night before, our sweet, chuckling, chortling Millie decided to go on sleep strike.  I held her for several hours that night before getting up at 5 am to do the "morning shift," as we call it.  I was one of those versions of tired when you think you may laugh or cry at any moment, but you choose not to because it may soak up too much energy.  YUP.  That was me.  

Anyway, my friend Karen on her way to my house, and I text her:  "Can I be honest?  I just can't do this today.  I'm so exhausted and overwhelmed."  Keep in mind, this woman had driven at least 30 minutes out to my house and was about to have to turn around and go home.  Her response?  "Of course!  I'm going to come in, drop off spaghetti, hug you and leave.  Please don't worry!"

You guys, the grace this woman showed me.  The kindness.  The love.  I felt seen in all of my vulnerability and loved anyway.  I so appreciated her at this moment.

I told you ALL of that to tell you that after she dropped of spaghetti, played with my kids, and chatted with me (adult convos!  A rare species), she prayed for me.

She prayed for me.  

She told God she understood we aren't supposed to ask for tough times to go quickly, but she asked that He would give me the endurance and patience to see this season for what it was.

Wow.  

This blew me away.  So, I want to pay this forward.  If you're in a tough season.  A season of scarcity--financial or social.  A season of loneliness.  A season of sadness.  A season of fear.  A season of self dislike.  A season of exhaustion (um yes, party of one--right here).  

Let us all remember.  To everything there is a season.  Let us see the season we're in for what it's worth (both highs and lows).  Let us sit in the emotions we feel right now and know that this season will soon fade and fall away like the bright fall leaves every November.  

So, eat spaghetti.  Drink wine.  Watch DVR.  Go for a run.  Take a nap.  Just do what you need to do to get through today.  Tomorrow may be the start of a new season.


Today may be the start of a new season.  Sending love and light to every one!

No comments:

Post a Comment